Reset xorg using lumina desktop

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 23 16:25:11 UTC 2020

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 11:25:45 -0400, Vlad D. Markov wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 10:19:06 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:27:00 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > Dear kind FreeBSD users,
> > >
> > > I am running FreeBSD using lumina.  I was using two screens, one with HDMI
> > > and one with VGA at school.  Since learning is now online, I am using only
> > > HDMI now, but my screen only remembers new setting.  I have tried checking
> > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it is not present.
> >
> > That file needed to be generated in the past, but it's no
> > longer needed (and even the location is not correct anymore,
> > today you can use a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or
> > partial files in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with
> > configuration fragments).
> >
> > For example, if you want to force a specific screen size
> > ("resolution"), you could use the following:
> >
> > /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen.conf:
> >
> > 	Section "Screen"
> > 		Identifier "Screen0"
> > 		Device "Card0"
> > 		SubSection "Display"
> > 			Modes "1024x768"
> > 		EndSubSection
> > 	EndSection
> >
> > I use this to have a laptop with a native LCD size of
> > 1280x800 to display correctly on a 4:3 CRT attached at
> > the docking station.
> >

> > > I try screen configuration, but
> > > cannot reset it to only Monitor with HDMI output.
> >
> > You can use the xrandr program to manually switch to the
> > screen you want. Then add that to your X startup file,
> > ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession, so it will automatically use
> > the desired monitor when you start X.
> >
> > With xrandr, you can also alter the size ("resolution")
> > parameters of the screen, if needed.
> >
> > However, most of all this stuff should be correctly
> > autodetected by X.
> >

> > > How can I reset it so I can just have fresh desktop with all icons on the
> > > screen?
> >
> > "Desktop with icons on the screen" is a matter of the deskto
> > environment, not of X. Most desktop systems will arrange the
> > icons depending on the screen parameters they find.
> >

> > > If you need output from xrandr, I can send it in on Monday. When teaching
> > > online and using Google classroom, the microphone was muted, I started
> > > using telefono to use and connect with it.
> >
> > Always check mixer settings, levels, selected recording device,
> > and for the program in use, which sound system it uses (for
> > example, OSS or ALSA).
> >
> I am not sure but this sounds like an issue I had where the
> default was to display on both my laptop and external screens
> and I had the laptop closed. All the icons and menu bar were
> on the closed laptop and all I saw on the external monitor>
> was the background

That looks like the system detected two screens and made a
"dual head" setup (two physical desktops) automatically,
instead of just mirroring the laptop's screen content to
the external display.

Things like this often can be configured in the BIOS / UEFI
setup of the computer.

> I solved this using xrandr in my .xinitrc file. I turn off
> the laptop display if the external is available and vice-versa
> which is probably unecessary.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #set -x
>
> intern=LVDS-1
> extern=VGA-1
>
> if xrandr | grep -q "$extern connected"; then
>     xrandr --output "$intern" --off --output "$extern" --auto
> #       echo "turning on external"
> else
>     xrandr --output "$extern" --off --output "$intern" --auto
> #       echo "turning on internal"
> fi

That is a good approach to handle this kind of situation. :-)

As I mentioned, you might currently see a specific attempt of
the desktop environment to handle two screens, which adds more
complexity than just mirroring the screen content (both displays
show same desktop), and just ignore the (closed) laptop display
when you can see the screen content on the external display...

Note: You can also use xrandr to change screen size if it is
needed for the external display (different geometry or different
native screen size).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany