very slight OT: creating a *bootable* MSDOS7 memstick

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sat Aug 22 14:03:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 3:48 PM Aryeh Friedman  wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 9:35 AM Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 3:29 PM Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>> > Nice idea and I just tried it only one problem: When I tried to start "mini-windows XP" the screen flashed once and returned to the boot menu and I see no way to break out the boot menu (the command line stuff are also menu driven and ignore ctrl-c).   None of the menu options were usable in my case for the task I am attempting.
>> Try different versions there were some problems with this stuff.. I
>> was using 9.7 and it worked.. later releases did not work for me :-)
>>
>> https://www.tomek.cedro.info/files/service/HirensBootCD/
>
> Same problem with it.   Tried 9.7 and 15.2.

Sorry to hear. Are you using USB-CDROM? It worked for me some years
back then, at least some of versions, particularly this 9.7 I still
keep just in case. You may want to try on another computer, review
BIOS settings, etc, just to see if that works anywhere else. Maybe
that simple MS-DOS prompt would be enough - you were asking for MS-DOS
prompt and all those base menus and utilities are based on MS-DOS..?

Maybe there is yet another way to achieve your goal? Depending on how
precious is the result you may simply get your hands directly on the
hardware and dump/replace the memory contents :-)