portsnap belated complaint?

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Fri Aug 21 17:44:01 UTC 2020

Can someone explain why the portsnap update below seems to have succeeded
(patches applied), but then afterwards I get the message about needing to run
portsnap extract?

11.3-RELEASE-p6 (upgraded from 10.something some time ago)
I believe the ports tree was generated when the OS was installed, but not sure.
I'm also not sure how /usr/ports was upgraded after the OS upgrade.

# portsnap fetch
Extracting snapshot... done.
Ports tree hasn't changed since last snapshot.
No updates needed.
<long time interval>
# portsnap fetch update   <mistakenly left fetch in the cmd>
Fetching 4 metadata patches... done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 0 metadata files... done.
Fetching 22 patches.
(22/22) 100.00%  done.
done.
Applying patches...
done.
Fetching 2 new ports or files... done.
/usr/ports was not created by portsnap.
You must run 'portsnap extract' before running 'portsnap update'.