Correct way to disconnect/eject an USB hard disk ?

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Thu Aug 20 16:58:42 UTC 2020

Thanks all for the explanations and ideas

On 8/19/20 9:02 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 04:43:52 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>> The idea of "just give it a few seconds after you physically
>> remove the USB stick" [...]
>
> ... is of course nonsense - you wait _before_ physically
> removing the USB stick. It doesn't make sense to wait
> after disconnecting. :-)

Ah, that must be my problem ;-)
But it does make sense -- uh... let me think... what do I do now? :-)

But on a mostly unrelated note, I have a ritual I've been performing for nigh
on ten years:

Before plugging in a USB stick on one particular box, I stick a finger over the
USB stick connection, touch the box/case and run my finger down to the front
panel USB connector and wiggle my fingertip over the connector.  Then plug in
the stick.  If I don't do that, 9 times out of 10 the machine will freeze up
and I have to manually power off, reboot, and fsck.

It's obviously(?) static related, although I've never felt/heard any static
anywhere near and it only happens on this one box.  I just adapted and learned
to live with it.

Gary