5.25" Floppy disk drive not recognized

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Wed Aug 19 08:19:40 UTC 2020

Just want to inform about the progress accessing the 5.25“ drive.

It turned out that the cabling of the TEAC-55GFR was wrong. The ASRock939A790GMH
MB supports only one floppy drive. It comes with a cable to connect that one 3.5“ drive with the typical twist in the cable.
To connect the 5.25 drive I needed a cable with an edge connector. So I pressed an edge connector to the cable,
but did that before the twist, resulting in that I had to jumper the drive to Device 0.

That resulted in the spindle motor not running when the drive was selected.  In the docs for that drive (TEAC) I found a
remark, saying that you have to connect pins 10 and 16 when the drive is run as Device 0 on a straight cable.

That was all the mess behind it. Now I can happily use fdread to access the drive.

—
Christoph