A nice looking WM to replace a DE

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sun Aug 16 05:43:55 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

There is a box where I'd like to ditch Xfce for a more simple setup with
just a window manager (WM) and a couple of xterms. This would set the
resources free from the gnome-shit which Xfce runs in the background.
Is it still possible?

If you run this kind of configuration, can you answer some questions for
me?

1. What good-looking WM would you recommend from the ports? I had a
quick look at fvwm and was appalled how dated and ugly it looks to the
modern eye. Even twm is better aesthetically but not rich enough
for me. A minimal number of dependencies is an advantage.

2. Without a full-featured DE, how do you setup Xserver parameters? I've
long forgotten how to configure multiple keyboard layouts, nice fonts,
various hotkeys (layout switching etc). Is it still done via the global
xorg.conf or is it possible on a per-user basis?

So, please share your success stories.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/