Verify user password

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Sat Aug 15 13:31:26 UTC 2020

On 15/08/2020 13:39, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> How can I verify if a given password matches the password stored in
> master.passwd database for a user account that is set up with
> /nonexistent and /usr/sbin/nologin (so a user that can't normally login
> to the system but still can have a password stored in the database)?

nologin doesn't stop you logging in, it merely says the account isn't
available and boots you out afterwards, so you should be able to check
the password by trying to log in. I don't think the non-existent home
directory affects that,

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.