5.25" Floppy disk drive not recognized

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Fri Aug 14 08:51:59 UTC 2020

> I’m trying to access a 5.25“ floppy disk drive if anyone here knowing what a „floppy“ disk drive is. :)

> MB is a ASRock939A790GMH

> I see the drive in the BIOS although I’m not sure if it is really „connected“.

> Anyway, the FreeBSD (12.1) boot doesn’t see the hardware at all.

> Christoph

Is that an old motherboard?  I didn't think you could still get a motherboard with floppy header.

In my experience with 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disks, FreeDOS was better than Linux, and Linux was better than FreeBSD or NetBSD.

But I can't try that any more, since my current motherboards have no floppy headers.

Tom