OT: Dealing with a hosting company with it's head up it's rear end

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Aug 13 23:09:25 UTC 2020

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 21:57:48 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 16:10:14 -0400
> Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:30 PM Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >         Can you ssh *out* from one of the unix boxes ? If so you can
> > > tunnel the rest through the ssh connection.
> > >

> > The block ALL outgoing ports except 25 even between the VM's on the same
> > host.
>
> 	OK so run an ssh server on port 25 somewhere else and use that to
> make the hub of an ssh tunnel bypass. It probably breaks their terms of
> service though.

That probably is a core problem: "We don't want it to work.
If someone gets it to work in any other way that _we_ will
consider acceptable, we will sue the $h1t out of them!" And
given that any "unauthorized modification" or is a breach
of contract, they'll surely find a judge stupid enough to
rule in their favor.

It is comparable to the concept of "We do not allow our home
customers to run any kind of server on our network" as it
was common a few decades ago for german ISPs. As "server"
is not exactly defined in terms of law, it could be anything.
"Something that sends something = a server" - and even a
web browser _sends_ a HTTP request... "Got ya, scumbag!
Service terminated!"

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany