<semi-OT> looking for .ppd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Aug 3 06:47:48 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 23:31:50 -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> Hello:
> 	I have a recent -CURRENT system on which I am installing CUPS.
> The printer is a Brother HL-2270DW ... which is not on the list of
> known printers, and for which I am unable to find a .ppd from a
> trustworthy source.
> 	Anyone know where to locate this?  Or failing that, possibly have
> one they could share?

>From the Brother's german download section I found this:

	CUPSwrapper Printer driver Source Codes

	This is CUPS wrapper Printer driver Source Codes.

https://www.brother.de/support/hl-2270dw/downloads

This leads to the download section:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/branch/downloadhowto.aspx?c=de&lang=de&prod=hl2270dw_all&os=127&dlid=dlf005894_000&flang=4&type3=560

(Choose Linux, RPM, English, if neccessary.)

Download the file: cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.rpm

Extract it (it can be processed like regular compressed
archives, using a GUI tool or the Midnight Commander.)

Inside it, there's a file: CONTENTS.cpio

Extract it (using cpio or another tool.)

Inside it, usr/local/Brother/Printer/HL2270DW/cupswrapper
(relative path), there is a file cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4,
a script executable intended for Linux. Copy it as name
HL2270.PPD and edit.

It contains (!) the PPD, starting line 69. Cut to that point.

First lines:

	*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
	*%================================================
	*%      Copyright Brother Industries,Ltd 2006-2008
	*%      "Brother HL2270DW for CUPS"
	*%================================================

>From there, it's 280 lines long. Cut there.

Last lines:

	*UIConstraints: *InputSlot MANUAL       *Duplex DuplexTumble
	*UIConstraints: *InputSlot MANUAL       *Duplex DuplexNoTumbl

The resulting ppd file should be 10530 bytes.

Tataa - you have the correct PPD file.

Deutsch gut. :-)

--
Polytropon