Mounting from ufs:/dev/ad2s1a failed with error 19.

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Thu Apr 30 17:32:38 UTC 2020

I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 12.1 today on an older Amd 64 ASRock Board and was pleasantly surprised how smooth everything went.

Boot device was a Kingston SSD 240GB which was on AHCI port 2 and AHCI Port 0 was another disk. After the install I wanted to boot but boot failed. Since the live CD was still inserted at that point in time the system tried to boot the live CD for whatever reason.

After that I swapped the ports and connected the install drive to port 0 and made it the preferable boot device (in first order in the BIOS).

Now I’m getting a boot failure. The system boots into the

mountroot> prompt givin the above error as shown in the subject line:

Mounting from ufs:/dev/ad2s1a failed with error 19.

What’s wrong?

—
Christoph