Updating from 11.3-stable to 12.1-stable?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 30 14:57:10 UTC 2020

On 4/30/20 9:52 AM, Bob Willcox wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 08:46:52AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>       On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 16:27:54 -0500 Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com> wrote:

Thank you, Bob and Scott, your instructions are brilliant, and thanks,
Polytropon, for extra insights.

Valeri

>>> Well, here are the steps that I took to upgrade my 11.3-STABLE system to
>>> 12.1-STABLE. May not be the best/most efficient but they worked for me
>>> and I thought someone else may benefit from them.
>>>
>>> 1)  Make a backup of the current system
>>> 2)  Delete everything in /usr/src, making certin to remove the files and directories
>>>      that start with a dot (".").
>>> 3)  Delete everything in /usr/obj.
>>> 4)  Download (via svn) the new FreeBSD release /usr/src to be updated to.
>>> 5)  Build the new world from the source.
>>> 6)  Build the new kernel from the source.
>>> 7)  Run "mergemaster -Fp" to update files that may be needing update prior to
>>>      doing the installworld.
>>> 8)  Run "make installworld" in /usr/src.
>>> 9)  Run "make installkernel" in /usr/src.
>>> 10) Run "mergemaster -iU" do update any remaining files that need to be updated.
>>> 11) Reboot the system.
>>> 12) Run "pkg update" to update the pkg database to the new system's level.
>>> 13) Run "pkg upgrade" to update all packages to reflect the new system's level.
>>> 14) Reboot the system.
>>>
>>       If you did things as you state and it worked, you got lucky.  Your step 7) has
>> to be run in /usr/src, just like 8) and 9) and 10).  8) and 9) appear above in
>> reversed order.  Also, you omitted 8.5).  Steps 8) through 9) should have been:
>
> Yes, step was run from /usr/src. I just failed to point that out. I was still in
> that directory after the builds completed.
>
> As for the order of installworld and installkernel. I used to run them in the
> order you suggest but found that, as I recall, doing the installkernel first
> didn't always work when I had the nvidia driver specified in my /etc/src.conf
> file. The details are a bit hazy now, but by installing world first the nvidia
> driver was successfully built from ports during the installkernel step.
>

>>   8)  Run "make installkernel" in /usr/src.
>>   8.5)  Reboot.  IFF this new kernel comes up correctly, then proceed to step 9).
>>   9)  Run "make installworld" in /usr/src.
>>
>> Not doing it like this runs a grave risk of needing to restore the system from
>> backups to make it usable again.  The last time I looked at it, the Handbook
>> laid this procedure out clearly.
>
> Well, as I have said, perhaps I've been incredibly lucky for these past 20+
> years that I've been doing it this way as I have had no such incidents. I don't
> doubt that there are risks, just updating a system carries some pretty significant
> risks.
>
> Guess I sorry I said anything about this...didn't mean to get people riled up.
>
> Bob
>

>>                                    Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
>> * Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *
>> * "A well regulated and disciplined militia, is at all times a good  *
>> * objection to the introduction of that bane of all free governments *
>> * -- a standing army."                                               *
>> *    -- Gov. John Hancock, New York Journal, 28 January 1790         *

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247