FreeBSD live USB stick

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Apr 26 06:57:09 UTC 2020

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 13:52:06 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
>After the 128 GB Ultra Fit failed, I shopped around for high-endurance
>USB flash drives.  These are hard to find, especially in larger
>capacties.
>

>I did find one OEM that makes industrial flash devices in various
>capacities and form factors, including USB:
>
>https://www.cactus-tech.com/products/industrial-grade/usb-flash-drive/
>

>Unfortunately, Cactus Technologies is an OEM and does not sell into
>retail channels.  I contacted them, and they offered to sell me two 16
>GB drives (USB 2.0?) for $39 plus shipping with a lead time of 5 weeks
>ARO (if not in stock).
>

>STFW 'industrial usb flash' there are a few other manufacturers and/or
>distributors.
>

>The MacBook Pro has an SD Card slot.  SanDisk high-endurance microSD
>cards are readily available, so I went with that:
>
>https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/memory-cards/sandisk-high-endurance-uhs-i-microsd#SDSQQNR-032G-AN6IA
>

>SanDisk also makes a "max endurance" model:
>
>https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/memory-cards/sandisk-max-endurance-uhs-i-microsd#SDSQQVR-032G-AN6IA
>

>STFW I see that some people put these into USB adapters and use them
>as live drives.  If you run embedded systems with SD/ microSD slots
>(Rasperry Pi, etc.), this might be a better way to go.

Hi David,

in a German forum consensus is SD + USB adapter over USB stick, too [1].
For testing purpose I'll not cancel the order of the Toshiba 32 GB USB
stick [2], read 150 MB/s, 11.50 € including shipping costs [3].

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
https://www.bsdforen.de/threads/freebsd-auf-usb-stick.33407/#post-289988