best upgrade process for server

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 24 05:17:49 UTC 2020

I'm doing the same thing but with public facing services. Until I have the
problem of too many users, getting my server connection essentially for free
is too good a deal. A VPS on Digital Ocean with similar performance
would be ~$20/month.

> When it was time to retire my previous desktop/ Linux SOHO server with
> an up-to-date FreeBSD server, I bought a lightly used Dell PowerEdge T30
> with one Xeon E3-1225 v5 processor, one 8 GB ECC memory module, one 1 TB
> SATA HDD, and one DVD+/-RW drive.

I have been watching for a Dell or HP chassis designed for four 2.5" SSDs.

> My advice would be to keep your existing server and disaster
> preparedness infrastructure fully functional while you build an
> end-to-end replacement.

Excellent advice!