GPL, not freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 15:31:42 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 8:08 AM Kevin P. Neal <kpn at neutralgood.org> wrote:

> write:
> > > legality
> > > give
> > > unconstitutional.

> don't
> two
> > > are
> > >
> > > Whichever it might turn out to be, it's still inane to claim there's
> any
> > > sort of constitutional issue, and it's still a bad idea to play junior
> > > lawyer.
> > >

> >  Not true according to the US Copyright office:
> > https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
>
> When you post links like this do you even _read_ them?

Do you ever read what I *ACTUALLY* said (see below for your complete
misreading)

> Here is your post, archived:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2020-April/288702.html
>
> You said:
> % Thus I suspect if push came to shove in a legal fight about the legality
> of
> % GPL forcing third parties that just happen to use a GPL'ed project to
> give
> % up all claims over how their work is used would likely unconstitutional.
>
> To repeat the other poster, "it's still inane to claim there's any sort
> of constitutional issue, and it's still a bad idea to play junior lawyer."
>
> A claim that the GPL could be "unconstitutional" is a claim that there is
> a "constitutional issue" with the GPL.

I *NEVER* claimed there where any constitutional issues at all in GPL
(except as there are any constitutional issues with *ALL* copyrighted
material ever created since the constitution was written).

The *ONLY* reason I mentioned the constitution at all is to show why
copyright is a federal issue not a state issue.   The only time GPL could
possibly be a state issue is if it was a contract (something that FSF
specifically says it is not, despite one court that is in a state that uses
a slightly non-standard commercial code and thus might not apply nationally
saying it is).