freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

Norman Gray norman.gray at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 19:10:14 UTC 2020

Steve, hello.

On 17 Apr 2020, at 19:51, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> It's a tangent to this thread, but: can you point to anything which
>> discusses this in more detail?
>

> 	The horses mouth:
>
> <https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/SystemTechnology/SystemTechnology.html>

Aha!  Thank you.

Inspired by that, I also found
<https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/BSD/BSD.html>
(from 2013).  Much to read there.

I do remember, though, reading somewhere that there was a continuing
relationship between Apple/Darwin and FreeBSD, extending even to Apple
sponsoring FreeBSD development shared with Darwin, with code flowing in
one direction or the other.  Did I imagine that, or misremember it?

My difficulty in finding any corroboration of that is possibly due to a
failure of google-fu on my part, and possibly a function of Apple's
famous degree of cheerful chattiness when it comes to engineering
internals.

Best wishes,

Norman

--