freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 18:03:15 UTC 2020

 I'm a system architect/Sr System Administrator, comp sci degree, 30 years experience, etc.
I have to make a living.  I do so with RH/CentOS etc.
Honestly, if people truly understood the difference between BSD and Linux (full OS vs kernel) and all the nuances as well as the philosophy, I truly believe that there would be a large migration to FreeBSD.  Most of the largest and most successful companies in their respective fields use it.  (Apple, Netflix, NetApp, etc)

Heck, even Linus said if it wasn't for the lawsuit between BSD and AT&T in the early '90s, he would not have found it necessary to create Linux (based on source code COPIED from a Minix book) circa 1994.  (BSD traces back to 20 years earlier - dinosaur age in technology of 1974)

When I look at what has been done in the Linux world in the last five years.... (microprocesses, kubernetes/containers, etc) it is a REINVENTION of things that existed back in mid-90s (!!!) with FreeBSD jails and Solaris zones.
Yes, the Linux community re-invents things... A LOT.  When they don't re-invent and try something new (like systemd), it's nothing short of a mess.  It seems more of implementing things of 'I have this cool new idea.  Let's implement it' versus BSD approach of starting with 'Should we implement it?'  When there's a new release of the Linux kernel it's, typically, a mess.  It goes through a zillion patches in 6 months mainly about security and various holes.  It's really scary how much it mimics a Windows release.

Freebsd Freebsd : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed reports

|  |  |

|  |
Freebsd Freebsd : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed re...

Freebsd Freebsd security vulnerabilities, exploits, metasploit modules, vulnerability statistics and list of ver...

Linux Linux Kernel : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed reports

|  |  |

|  |
Linux Linux Kernel : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed...

Linux Linux Kernel security vulnerabilities, exploits, metasploit modules, vulnerability statistics and list of ...

Now, the two links above are just about the SECURITY vulnerabilities introduced annually by the COMPLETE OS known as FreeBSD (including it's kernel and userland) versus the KERNEL of Linux (this does NOT include the GNU userland which is a SEPARATE list of vulnerabilities - a complete GNU/Linux system is substantially higher)
More comparison?
Microsoft : Products and vulnerabilities

|  |  |

|  |
Microsoft : Products and vulnerabilities

Microsoft: List of all products, security vulnerabilities of products, cvss score reports, detailed graphical re...

Also, when viewing the CVE details site, please remember that OSX is NOT FreeBSD.  When you're looking at OSX, you are also looking at a hybrid kernel, mostly FreeBSD userland and... their GUI <-- a lot of the vulnerabilities are found here.

FreeBSD?  Heck, I'll take an x.0-RELEASE and put it in production without questioning whether it works or not.  I wait at least 6 months before rolling out a new Linux kernel/GNU OS.
Paul

    On Friday, April 17, 2020, 1:04:21 PM EDT, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 12:02, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Before getting into detail in the inline comments it is important to note
> > there is small but very important philosophical difference in the design
> of
> > FreeBSD and Linux.  FreeBSD follows the core concept of the Hippocratic
> > Oath: "Do no harm" (aka "if it is not broken don't fix it!") and Linsucks
> > follows the completely idiotic Facebook mantra of: "Iterate fast and
> break
> > things" (aka Only an idiot would use it in a life critical application.)
>
> Prepubescent fanboi language that doesn't add much to a technical topic.

Your response shows you completely misread the intent and meaning of my
comments.    Also insulting people is likely even less productive then me
quoting some well known cliches.

> Translated back into more coherent English, I pretty much like the
> 1990's "release often, release early" philosophy, which FreeBSD seems
> to have adopted with its recent policy of offering more frequent
> releases.

I am all in favor of frequent releases as long they are not broken ones
(the base system does well here the ports collection not so well).  I do
daily updates of my installed ports and usually do at least a test install
of the first -BETA of every new version (unless it fundamentally breaks
something I even switch over to it for my desktop, but wait for -RELEASE
before doing it on production servers).

Now that being said as I said in the message that you are replying to (and
so kindly took out of context) due to my application for production servers
the worst possible thing that an OS can do is something that is potentially
harmful and FreeBSD is one the best behaved in this regard where is
linsucks is by far the worst offender in this area.