freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:31:13 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 12:43:07 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>forbids the example you gave)

This is utter nonsense. It says:

"Can I use GPLed software on a device that will stop operating if
customers do not continue paying a subscription fee?

No. In this scenario, the requirement to keep paying a fee limits the
user's ability to run the program. This is an additional requirement on
top of the GPL, and the license prohibits it."

Ardour (the software example I gave) does not stop working, if a
customer stops paying the Ardour subscription.

The GPL probably contains several pitfalls, but IMO this isn't one of
them.

It's possible to make a living from GPL'ed software and even to use
GPL'ed software and a Linux kernel "in a life critical application",
while not being an "idiot". It's probably a good idea to put some
effort in development and maintenance of "life critical" software and
hardware, what ever license applies, what ever operating system and
hardware is used.