Is there a standalone spreadsheet program available for Freebsd?

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Fri Apr 17 15:51:33 UTC 2020

On 4/17/20 10:30 AM, Bob Willcox wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 04:13:05PM +0100, Arthur Chance wrote:

>>> Thanks for your response.
>>>
>>> What I would like would be something simple w/o lots of features as my intended
>>> use is simple. I just want to be able to list expense items and their cost and
>>> have them added up as a monthly expense budget. That's all.
>>
>> It's not a spreadsheet or under X and so may be inappropriate for your
>> needs but awk with flat files could do that trivially, and it's in the
>> base system. Not everything needs a GUI.
>
> Yeah, I actually had considered that. I've been writing awk progams for years
> (since 1982) and can see where I could try that approach. Guess I was being
> lazy and just thinking that maybe there was something out there more like what
> spreadsheet programs were back in the mid '80s.

I have to say that, for most of us, the use of things like spreadsheets
is pretty lightweight.  In that light, I have incrementally been moving
to Google Sheets (and Docs).  It's cloud based so it runs on everything
that has a decent browser.  That way, I don't have to cruft up my
BSD and Linux systems with business applications that typically are:
A) Large with lots of dependencies and B) Often not frequently or well
maintained.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com