drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Wed Apr 15 12:50:15 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 9:38 PM Kevin Oberman wrote:
d be a "good  thing", though, other than this mailing list, I have no
idea where to find current status and no idea where else users would
look.
> (..)
> (..) graphics wiki page (..) I'm tempted to volunteer to try to update (..)

I really love FreeBSD for its comprehensive and consistent/coherent
documentation. I always give "The FreeBSD Handbook" as an example of
perfect project documentation. It contains practical examples, is
written both for new and advanced users, can be printed as a book.
Everything in one place always up to date. Also you can type "man
something" and you will usually get a man page for that something.
This is in total opposition to Linux documentation that is spread
around the net on various blogs and mostly irrelevant or outdated.

>From what I understand, things under development are usually described
on WIKI. Those wiki pages are sometimes outdated or could contain some
more useful information and examples. But in general the are very
useful and centralized source of information. Having a good WIKI could
save time both for people asking questions and answering questions on
various support media such as mailinglists or forums. Also wiki could
be a source of documentation merge into the Handbook.

Maybe if WIKI access is more liberal (but still moderated) then people
(like me or Kevin) could put more detailed descriptions and examples.
That could be the central point for information exchange on things
under development and then practical examples source for stable stuff.
It could be a single page organized in a Sections like I am used to:
1. Documentation - nicely edited human readable text or information
that then sources the information to The FreeBSD Handbook.
2. TODO - a checklist that would point all tasks and subtasks to be
done and marked as completed.
3. Examples - can show example configurations and use cases to be
quickly applied in the field.
4. Workbench - a developer workbench scratchpad to leave developer
readable comments, notes, memos.
5. References - anything helpful to understand the project for a new
developers or users.

The above sections are just an example that I got used to create when
starting a project (for instance a bit outdated
https://github.com/cederom/icederom) in a form of one simple page with
everything in one place just like in The FreeBSD Handbook does :-)

Besr regards :-)
Tomek