drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Wed Apr 15 09:10:14 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:41 AM Theron wrote:
> Shame to see xf86-video-intel being treated as if it's deprecated
> software meanwhile modesetting driver lags behind it on this basic level
> of image quality.

Wow, I also noticed a bit better picture quality with Intel driver,
but I was not sure if this is the driver thing, now it gets more
probable when also you mention it. To be honest I was a bit surprised
that it even worked :-) :-)

I guess this new modesetting driver will catch up quickly and get into
the point of better picture quality.. maybe there is some additional
setup that could improve things already?

> > I am sometimes using scfb when no drm is loaded just to have xorg working.
> Using scfb with i915kms loaded (yes it does work, no reason not to)
> actually gives substantial power savings for me (530 Skylake GT2 0x191b)
> compared to using xf86-video-intel: even with Xorg and a few
> non-animated graphical apps I can have power consumption on laptop
> almost as low as in console, but of course it is not good for video.
> Xorg+xf86-video-intel always wastes a few watts no matter what I try.

Exactly my observation, on Intel driver, except eating out the whole
system memory, basic applications like Enlightenment took around
20..40% CPU and Terminology took around 10..30% CPU on a decent
machine. On DRM i915KMS they take around 5% (E) and 1% (T) :-)

I guess there is no reason to use xf86-video-intel anymore for a reason :-P

Best regards :-)
Tomek