pkg mirrors extremely slow, why not use the ftp mirrors?

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sat Apr 11 20:42:12 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 7:42 PM Martin Hanson wrote:
> I'm on a gigabit connection in EU, using the "pkg0.bme.freebsd.org" is horrible:

+1 on this one :-( Compared to Linux repos where you can fetch really
large amount of packages in a seconds we are really behind :-( I can
see some improvement in speed recently but its still too slow..

I love PKG system, it saves so much time on compiling, setting up, and
maintenance.

I know that PKG is using geolocation for better access and that
packages need to be signed for security so these repositories are in
control of the FreeBSD project..

Maybe creating more smaller mirrors could be helpful?

Maybe allowing people to share their broadbands could be helpful?

How about creating a dedicated low-power distributed ARM based PKG
delivery system that could be burned to a SD card then run from some
sort of *Pi device connected to a broadband? This way we could have
lots of low power local delivery locations that could act as PKG
mirrors :-) I will provide a dedicated thread for that idea to discuss
:-)

Best regards :-)
Tomek