Question (fwd)

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Thu Apr 9 02:47:34 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 7:43 PM Dewayne Geraghty <
dewayne at heuristicsystems.com.au> wrote:

> On 9/04/2020 12:11 pm, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> > For a number of reasons I tend to create monolithic kernels, and prevent
> >
> > I'm running 11.3-STABLE
> >
> > in the kernel LINT file I see
> >
> > options         GEOM_LINUX_LVM
> >
> > options         COMPAT_LINUXKPI
> >
> > options         COMPAT_LINUX32
> >

> > but COMPAT_LINUX no longer is a recognized symbol. ....  Hmmm...
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 3:44 PM Kevin P. Neal <kpn at neutralgood.org>
> wrote:
>
> I just ran make LINT on my FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE #0 r359640M: Mon Apr  6
> which has, on i386:
>
> LINT:options    GEOM_LINUX_LVM
> LINT:options    COMPAT_LINUXKPI
> LINT:options    COMPAT_LINUX
>
> while the amd64 version has:
> LINT:options    GEOM_LINUX_LVM
> LINT:options    COMPAT_LINUXKPI
> LINT:options    COMPAT_LINUX32
>
> which explains things.

I'm not yet enlightened, Sensei. ;-)  Yes, as you correctly infer, I am
running amd64 kernel.  But... are those kernel options sufficient (along
with the right userland pkg) to run 64 bit Linux binaries?

– M

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata