NIC Compatibility for 11.2

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Thu Sep 26 03:13:23 UTC 2019

Polytropon writes:

>  Yes, those are not on the list. However, this doesn't automatically
>  imply that they don't work. If you have the option of "trial &
>  error", test the cards. If they are recognized, the "em" driver
>  gets loaded, and they should just work(TM). If not, return the
>  cards. (Yes, I know, this isn't always possible, but if it is
>  possible for you, give it a try.) I say this because several
>  "PRO/1000 MT" models are listed, so it could be possible that
>  except the naming is a little bit different, you're refering to one
>  of them?

	In addition to matching the model id, you may also need to match
the specific chip version - which is what actually counts.  I have this
unconfirmed memory that Intel has been known to use the same model id
for multiple chip versions.  Doesn't matter for Windows; for FreeBSD
... very much.

			Respectfully,

				Robert Huff