Can't get graphical desktop environment on FBSD12

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 19 19:21:44 UTC 2019

HI all-

Just did an install recently of FreeBSD 12 on a Thinkpad X! Carbon (Gen 5).

Following the directions here[1] as well as here[2] I'm unable to get anything other than a command prompt when I restart the machine.

I should say when I reboot, it appears to hang and I only get a black screen (issuing either 'reboot' or 'shutdown -r now') and I have to power down and back up using the laptop's power button.

I'm actually wanting to get Cinnamon (which I've installed as well) up and running as the DE.

I've installed gnome-desktop, gdm, xorg, and  gnome3

I have the following in my /etc/rc.conf:
$ less /etc/rc.conf
hostname="lenovo"
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
gnome_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

This is /etc/fstab:
$ less /etc/fstab
# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
/dev/nvd0p2     /               ufs     rw      1       1
/dev/nvd0p3     none            swap    sw      0       0
proc            /proc           procfs  rw      0       0

And I have an .xinitrc file with the following:
$ less .xinitrc
exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session

$ ls -alF | grep xinitrc
-rw-r--r--  1 trey  trey     34 Sep 19 11:29 .xinitrc

Have I mis-typed something or what am I missing?

Thanks!

[1] https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-gnome-on-freebsd/
[2] https://www.osradar.com/how-to-install-gnome-or-plasma5-kde-on-freebsd-12/

--