Moving boot disk - does not seem easy?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Sep 13 04:51:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 22:26:32 +0100, james wrote:
> I had thought that this would be straightforward but it seems not.
>
> I have a freebsd 12 system, UFS boots /ada0p2.  Mounts some ZFS
> partitions and I'm away.
>
> I add a new PCIe card with a SATA SSD, and it grabs ada0.
>
> I want to move my boot to the SSD, not least because the boot priority
> now favours it as ada0, and I had to manually boot ada1p2.

Use labels - you no longer have to deal with device names that
could change depending on detection order (or other properties).
As long as there is the appropriate boot code installed and you
are referencing the boot partition's label, it will work, no
matter if it is ada0p2 or ada2p2.

Documentation and examples:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-glabel.html

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html#_the_new_standard_gpt