Where is the info viewer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Sep 12 02:15:49 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 21:14:57 -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 02:58:52AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > It's also possible to the Midnight Commander: PF3 on a .info.gz
> > file will make it readable (even though no highlighting as if it
> > was a manpage).
>
> Wait, that's weird. PF3 is supposed to back out of the current screen.
> What kind of OS are we talking about? :)

Oops, my old people mainframe heritage is showing! ;-)

According to SAA, PF3 is exit, PF12 is cancel, PF1 is help - mostly
universal to 3270- and 5250-based dialog applications, but also
used on some DOS (not _that_ DOS, the other one) applications.
And I think even AIX SMIT (the IBM UNIX) used it.

Midnight Commander, _on FreeBSD_: As a descendant of the Norton Commander
(when the name "Norton" was definitely _not_ a name you immediately
associated with yellow vomit), it uses PF3 for viewing files. The MC
has a set of "viewer helpers", for example, for images it will show
EXIF information, for MP3 files ID3 tags, for manual pages it will
render them - and it also works for info pages, so "mcview" could be
used as "info replacement" (if you have the MC installed already).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany