Where is the info viewer?

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Wed Sep 11 17:17:39 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-11 18:48, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:

>> 20150102:
>>>          The GNU texinfo and GNU info pages have been removed.
>>>          To be able to view GNU info pages please install texinfo from ports.
>>
>>> Herbert
>>
>> Better than the user-unfriendly GNU info is pinfo, in FreeBSD ports category misc.
>
> As a workaround, you can also use Emacs. C-h i browses the info tree that comes with Emacs. With a numeric argument (eg C-u C-h i), it asks for the pathname of an info file. Handy if you use Emacs
> anyway.

I don't agree with calling it a workaround - the info mode that you
enter with C-h i is a full-fledged info viewer AFAICS, "advanced"
rendering and lots of fancy info-specific navigation commands... And
at least if emacs is installed from ports/packages, you get a menu
based on *all* the files in /usr/local/share/info, not just those that
come with emacs - actually the default list of directories is

Info-directory-list is a variable defined in ‘info.el’.
Its value is
("/usr/local/share/emacs/info/" "/usr/local/share/info/" "/usr/local/info/")

Documentation:
List of directories to search for Info documentation files.

- I actually have a couple dozen files in /usr/local/info too, all
from ports/packages.

> I agree that if the base system includes info files, it should include a reader. However, /usr/local/share/info is not part of the base system; that's ports/packages. My current system doesn't have
> /usr/share/info.

+1

--Per