Where is the info viewer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 11 14:09:34 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 09:52:44 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:
>
> > On a fresh install of FreeBSD 12.0 amd64, I installed something via pkg,
> > and then used "man <something>", which complained that I need to install
> > groff. I did that - and the manpage could be read. I'm just mentioning
> > this because I've never seen this before...
>
> Historically, man(1) was essentially "nroff -man" under the covers.

Older FreeBSD versions came with /usr/bin/groff - similar problem
as with info, except that _some_ manpages were available without
installing 3rd party software (probably already processed and
rendered, and in that form part of the default installation).

I've also been using groff to turn man entries into PDF files. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany