Where is the info viewer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 11 09:07:14 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 18:18:27 +1000, MJ wrote:

> On 11/09/2019 12:14 pm, Polytropon wrote:[snip]
>
> > It's like how tools like dig and bind disappeared from the base system.
> > They are now in ports and can be installed optionally. However, if a
> > documentation file is still part of the OS, and installed along with
> > the tools comprising the OS, the corresponding reader (!) should also
> > be part of the OS. Or at least a placeholder, which could be a script
> > that simply echo "This tool is no longer part of FreeBSD, please install
> > this or that.", exit 0. :-)
>

> Yes, it's rather like omitting man and still providing man pages.

Exactly that was my impression.

Strange thing, don't know if related:

On a fresh install of FreeBSD 12.0 amd64, I installed something via pkg,
and then used "man <something>", which complained that I need to install
groff. I did that - and the manpage could be read. I'm just mentioning
this because I've never seen this before...

Additionally, vt shows another defect (next to the most prominent one,
the inability to provide a readable console or the inability to display
colors correctly): When browsing a manpage, "hickups" happen in the
rendering, like this:

DESCRIPTION
     For each operand that names a file of a type other than directory, ls
     displays its name as well as any requested, associated information.  For
]]3; each operand that names a file of type directory, ls displays the names
     of files contained within that directory, as well as any requested, asso-
     ciated information.

Note: This example is a made-up one (constructed from "man ls"), but
I've seen something like this. Maybe vt cannot properly implement
attribues like invers or bold? It looked like a line where linebreak
went wrong, but page / line scrolling up and down made the error go
away and re-appear... I have no idea what I've seen...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany