Where is the info viewer?

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Wed Sep 11 00:59:03 UTC 2019

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I've noticed that the info utility has disappeared from the recent
> versions of FreeBSD.
>
> There are a lot of info files in /usr/local/share/info/, what should I
> read them with other than less ?

Before this thread I was (blissfully??) ignorant of info files, /usr/share/info/
having totally escaped my notice. As my workstation is kind of old, I still have
texinfo, so I took a look at the make documentation. Some useful stuff. So my
question [ at last :) ] Why remove the command and not reformat the files or
make them a part of one or both ports? The files are relatively useless without
texinfo or pinfo.