master.passwd out of sync

MJ mafsys1234 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:01:32 UTC 2019

Hi Albert,

On 3/09/2019 6:56 pm, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I try to understand how the /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db are updated with /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb.
>
> Anyone known what going to update those file ?
>
> The reason is I try to create a account with pw and sometime I got the
> message
>
>    pw: user '*******' disappeared during update
>
> so I just need to do a
>
>      /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
>
> and everything work fine.
>
> But that's not seem to be normal. So I try to find if they are some cron to
> do that and didn't find anything.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to know what rebuilds the master.passwd under "normal" circumstances?

That would be vipw(8).

Of course, you can still do as you state here and run pwd_mkdb(8) but better to use the right tool for the job.

Remember to set your EDITOR so vipw can use your preferred one.