Install from .iso Fails

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Sep 1 20:05:23 UTC 2019

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 12:37:21 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On 9/1/19 3:17 AM, MJ wrote:

> >> I switched to ttyv3 and killed all the bsdinstall processes.  Then, I
> >> started bsdinstall.  Looked good.  When bsdinstalled started looking
> >> on the web for components to install, all the components were not found.
> >>
> >> pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/12.0-RELEASE/base.txz no address
> >> record found.
> >>

> > I wouldn't go around killing install processes and then expect to have a
> > cogent system.
> >
> > If you are stuck with something, like the XHCI error, try a verbose boot:
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-start.html
> >

> > It may, or may not, illuminate the issue a bit more.
> >
> >> But, the install did do one thing.
> >>
> >> I tried to install on ata3.  bsdinstall actually created partitons on
> >> that disk.
> >>
> >> BUT, BSDINSTALL ALSO STABBED ATA0 AND MADE IT UNBOOTABLE.  Thanks.
> >
> > Yikes, boot manager perhaps? Is this a multi-OS system? What's the boot
> > manager you are using?
> >

> >> I guess FreeBSD install is just broken.
> >
> > Maybe the web-based-install-everything-by-download is, but I doubt it.
> > Is the network showing an IP when you're booting and what's its route
> > table look like? Can you ping a known web site, ie, google.com
> > (indicating name resolution & some network operation)?
> >
> I chose DHCP to start the network and did not see any error messages.  I
> did not ping anything.

You should verify that the network can be reached, routing
and name resolution work. If you see no error message, you
_could_ take that for granted, but it's always useful to
make sure it _really_ works.

This is the primary reason I use DVD #1: It allows me to
install a fully working OS, a point from where I can configure
network as needed, and then perform installation from external
sources. No "half-baked" things. ;-)

> I did not choose to install a MBR, maybe this is some default?

Did you choose automatic layout? Today, MBR is not the
default anymore. GPT is. There are only very few reasons
one would choose to use MBR partitioning.

> Killing all the install processes BEFORE they did anything should not
> cause a problem.

Depends on when a certain step is being performed, e. g.,
editing or creating a partition table before initializing
filesystems, initializing filesystems before copying files.

> Looking back over several years' notes I think this is a USB 3.0 problem.
>
> USB 3.0 is why I switched to Linux.  It is necessary for some of my
> projects.

Yes, this is a problem sometimes.

--
Polytropon