Ansible for FreeBSD - use cases?

Ruben mail at osfux.nl
Sat Oct 5 20:43:34 UTC 2019

Hi,

I've been using ansible in production for both Linux and FreeBSD for a
couple of years now. There are about 150 Linux servers and 50 FreeBSD
our team manages.

Our main usecases for using ansible specifically on/for FreeBSD targets:

- user management

The user modules are running fine on FreeBSD.

- pf management

The blockinfile module together with jinja2 functionality really kicks ass.

- setting up GELI/ZFS/NFS

We use several modules to orchestrate zfs fileservers: blockinfile,
raw/shell , service,  etc

- maintaining haproxy installations

blockinfile (with jinja2) / service modules

Using ansible to orchestrate FreeBSD servers just works. We can use
native modules for most of our payloads, using the shell/raw modules for
other stuff; there really is nothing we cannot do.

The only stuff that - in my experience - is cumbersome to orchestrate
with Ansible:

- portstree  compiles (for which we (try) to use portmaster with the Q
branches of the portstree)
- freebsd-update (crossing . releases, so using the "upgrade" switch)

I, for one, cannot wait to see the functionality provided by the
freebsd-update tool lifted to pkgng. From an Ansible point of view this
would decomplicate stuff quite a lot.

Ansible integrates quite nicely with Jinja2, which allows us to
configure/adminstrate all applications we run on FreeBSD servers.

I think using a framework to administer stuff that is used by many other
sysadmins makes more sense than writing one's own framework. I don't
know of any other orchestration framework out there that is OS and only
needs ssh/python in order to function, thats why I use Ansible.

Regards,

Ruben