Pkg Upgrade Errors

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 23:49:14 UTC 2019

I was working on upgrading the FreeBSD 11.3 installed on a laptop hard
drive.

I ran pkg upgrade when halted when installing linux_base-c7-7.1908 and I
got the message:

Kernel missing 64-bit support

I haven't found any information about this on-line so far, so it's a bit of
a head-scratcher for me.

In addition, the upgrading apparently misplaced libxfconf-0.so.2, which is
apparently needed by xfce.  I recall this was an issue when I upgraded from
11.2 to 11.3, but it doesn't seem to have been fixed.  Again, I haven't
found anything on-line on how to fix it, though I remember having to
downgrade a certain library or file when this happened before.

The question for me is "Now what?".  Upgrading to version 12 doesn't appear
to be an option because I tried it several months ago and the machine
wouldn't run it.  Do I have to rebuild the kernel and, of so, what do I
have to do to modify it?

Another option for me would be to start again from scratch but only to
11.2.  The machine the drive is for is rather old, so it could be that some
of my problems are because of hardware incompatibilities.

Does anyone have any further suggestions or ideas?  Thank you.

B. M. Jatzeck