Fwd: FreeBSD-12.1 on laptop

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Thu Nov 28 23:13:17 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-28 22:27, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 22:44:58 +0530, vm finance wrote:
>> Well, make at step #4 gave an error
>>
>> pkg install Xorg hal dbus
>> portsnap fetch update
>
> Correct.
>

>> cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/
>> make
>> <==== error here
>>
>> Pls see the attached screen shot...
>
> The list doesn't allow binary attachments. For future reference,
> it's always good to have the actual _text_ in the message.
>
> It reads (typed from screenshot, not fully aligned, but I'll get
> the relevant message parts):
>
> 	===> drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20190814 has known issues
> 	[...]
> 	*** Error code 1
> 	Stop.
> 	make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
> 	*** Error code 1
> 	Stop.
> 	make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
>
> The message suggests to use
>
> 	# make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes install
>
> to install it anyway.
>
> That's the whole "problem" - you need to explicitely consent to
> install this software because it has known security issues (as
> pointed out by the message).

The current port - i.e. for drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120, brand
new - *doesn't* have a vulnerability - I installed 12.1-RELEASE and
the current drm-kmod port on my laptop (was running 12.0-RELEASE) just
to verify that it worked fine:-), and it did (for me) - even a bit
better than with 12.0-RELEASE, since the X11 "modesetting" driver was
now chosen automatically.

I don't know about the update policy for the thing you download with
'portsnap', perhaps it lags the svn repo (which I used), in which case
it may be simplest to ignore the vulnerability. But there has also
been a g20191024 version, so g20190814 seems *way* behind. Maybe "vm
finance" ignored also errors from 'portsnap'...

In any case, if you check the https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics page,
*and* the https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Intel-GPU-Matrix *and*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Technology pages that it
references, it seems quite clear that the port *is* needed for "Intel
UHD Graphics 620". You can find the latter for "Kaby Lake Refresh" and
"Whiskey Lake" on the wikipedia page, both of them are later than the
"Kabylake" which is the last entry on the Intel-GPU-Matrix page, after
half a dozen older ones that require the drm-kmod port - the question
is rather whether it works even *with* the port. (Mine seems to be
"Kaby Lake", and definitely does *not* work with the i915kms driver in
base.)

But getting the nvidia to work *may* be simpler...

--Per