Who mainains https://www.freebsd.org/ website?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Nov 18 05:26:42 UTC 2019

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:19:35 -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> > first of all my apologise, since a while ago I assumed you are female,
> > since Valeri is a German female name [1], but after taking a look at
> > https://kicp.uchicago.edu I noticed my mistake.
> >
> > Using $ firefox -v Mozilla Firefox 70.0.1 on Arch Linux everything is
> > ok, see the attached screenshot.
>
> I will not attach the snapshot of what I see (as we are communicating
> through mail list), but try grabbing right bottom corner of the browser
> window, and move that around. You will see that with resizing of window
> darn clickable image floats separately above the rest of the page and
> can block some information. That IMHO is not appropriate for website
> where INFORMATION is paramount, not a cool look.

This is something typical today. Screens are big. They have
more X than Y, so horizontal alignment does _assume_ a certain
image width. Nobody seems to understand that there are devices
that do not have 2048px width. Design choices, even though
claiming to be "responsive", primarily concentrate on two
device types: mobile, with one column, and desktop, with three
columns (that's why "all modern websites look the same" is
a valid impression).

So if you use a browser window _not_ in fullscreen, and set it
to something like 1024x768, you can see the "shifting" of the
hovering elements - to cover actual page content and links.
You can even see text elements "floating into each other", here,
the "Shortcuts" and "Supported Releases" lists, partially covered
by the "New to FreeBSD?" grey box.

Yes, I've also tried that on FreeBSD 12 with a current Firefox
version.

It's simply a matter of CSS (or its interpretation by the browser)
not doing what the designer intended, because "all browsers work
the same" and "all audience have big screens" simply isn't true.
The web isn't a pixel-perfect medium (such as print would be).
Maybe some designers have a hard time understanding this, because
they are used to "looks good on my machine" just as some developers
will always fall into the "compiles on my machine" or "works on my
machine" trap.

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 18:44:54 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Oops, I can confirm this. The "New to FreeBSD item" as well as the
> "SHORTCUTS" item easily could become nasty when shrinking the window.

Seems to "work" (but probably not as expected by the designer)
with different browsers, tried Chrome and Opera and Firefox.
This probably is because they all have a different understanding
of what and where "100%" is, as well as simply missing a proper
strategy on how to deal with window sizes (and I'm not primarily
talking about screen sizes - not everyone runs browsers in
fullscreen all the time!) smaller than what the designer's
high-res Macbook offers... :-)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:19:35 -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> PS My first name originated from Russia, where it is mostly male given
> name (so my parents were not crazy giving me that name), some females
> have the same name (modified to indicate female). As far as I know the
> name came to Russia from France where it is both female and male name.

The name Valeri = BAJIEPNN~ is derived from the latin VALERIUS,
VALERE, and means something along "healthy" or "to be strong".
The russian form sometimes transcribed as "Valerij" (BAJIEPNN~)
is masculine, the female form "Valeriya" (BAJIEPNR) is feminine,
just like "Valerie" or "Valeria".

> The spelling Valeri was made from cyrillic (and was acceptable) when I
> published my first paper in English language based journal (my earlier
> publications were in Russian). The spelling was acceptable conversion
> from cyrillic as one of the options, including when my passport in
> English language was issued.

"Valeri" is the typical transcription of BAJIEPNN~ into the
english-centered world; the german equivalent also offers the
form "Waleri" (for example, Waleri Bykowski), both are omitting
the trailing N~ (imagine a little u on top of a mirrored N which
forms the masculine "adjective" endings -NN~ or -bIN~).

The surname, ending in the masculine form, indicates a man.
A similar woman's name would probably be "Valeriya Galtseva".

Enough school time for today.
There's nothing wrong with your name. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany