NEVERMIND! (was: Fresh install (12.1-RELEASE) won't boot)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Nov 13 10:53:36 UTC 2019

I re-did the install and now all is well, so obviously, it wasn't anything
to do with Secure Boot, or MBR versus GPT.

I really don't know what went wrong.  The only thing that I did different
the second time I did the install was that instead of making one huge
/ partition and then a 4GB swap partition, I made a 20GB / partition,
then a 4GB swap, and then the rest of the (128GB) drive I set up as /home.
(I did manual partitioning both times.)

The only other thing I did different was that on my second install attempt
I had the USB install stick in a USD 2.0 port, rather than in one of the
system's USB 3.0 ports.

The original problem may have all been down to some issues with kernel
support for the USB ports on this machine.  I saw multiple CAM errors
on the USB stick when I first tried to redo the install from one of
the USB 3.0 ports.  But I also got CAM errors relating to the USB stick
just -after- my second (successful) install attempt (from a USB 2.0 port)
had completed, and as the system was shutting down in preparation for reboot.

Weird!

Regards,
rfg

P.S. On the second install attempt I did try to use MBR rather than GPT
partitioning, but the install process politely informed me that this
hardware apparently doesn't like good old MBR.