12.1 on Thinkpad - problem making graphics work

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Nov 8 19:29:28 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 10:51:59 -0800, James E. Pace wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon from 12.0 to 12.1 (using
> freebsd-update), and I now have graphics problems.
>
> Under 12.0, I had the line "kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"" in
> /etc/rc.conf.  This was what enabled me to get X windows running on it when
> I first installed FBSD. (I don't recall where I got this from, likely
> googling my setup.)

I've been using i915kms_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf, but
the system messages say that it's deprecated, will be removed
in 13.0, and I should install some package whose name I forgot.

> During boot of 12.1, it appears that this line causes the system to
> immediately reboot, around the point in the boot where it would normally
> change video modes.  I commented that line out and was able to bring the
> system up to normal console mode.  But 'startx' doesn't go to graphical
> mode, failing with "Cannot run in framebuffer mode...".

I got X working without the KMS stuff, just make sure you have
installed the appropriate xf86-graphics-intel-driver (or how it
was called), and X should detect the hardware normally.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany