USB 3.0 disk to move files between FreeBSD and Windows

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Nov 4 11:42:57 UTC 2019

El día Monday, November 04, 2019 a las 09:12:08AM +0000, Mike Clarke escribió:

> On Sunday, 3 November 2019 17:49:53 GMT Matthias Apitz wrote:
>
> > I bought a new external USB 3.0 1.5 Marketing-Terrabytes disk meant to be
> > used in FreeBSD and Windows for file exchange/transport. The disk comes
> > formatted with NTFS, of course.
> >
> > What is the best option to gpart/format it for mounting the partition(s)
> > to FreeBSD and Windows. Best would be to have it even bootable with a
> > FreeBSD in one of its partitions.
>
> If you install sysutils/fusefs-ntfs you'll be able to mount and use the disk
> on your FreeBSD system. It wouldn't be bootable with FreeBSD though.

Thanks. Last time when I used NTFS on FreeBSD it was only for reading. I
tested it now on an older CURRENT and it's fine. So I will use gpart(8)
to restructure the disk as:

da0p1 freebsd-boot (512k)
da0p2 freebsd-ufs  (100G)
da0p3 freebsd-swap (10G)
da0p4 NTFS         (1300G)

And format the later with Windows tools to NTFS.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!