grep for ascii nul

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Nov 1 10:20:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 11:01:56 +0100 (CET), Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 10:49+0100, Polytropon wrote:
>
> > At least the list does _strip_ attachments which aren't
> > of type "text/ascii"; maybe with a re-declaration of
> > the attachment type it would have come through. However,
> > inlining a small C program is (just like with log files,
> > program outputs or "ASCII screenshots") fully accaptable
> > and welcome. :-)
>
> I use Alpine for email, and my ~/.mimes.types contains
>
> text/plain	adb ads c cc conf cpp cs d dat diff erl fd
>i fragment go h hh hpp hrl local log patch rb rc rs sh sql txt

Yes, "text/plain" is correct of course. :-)

> to ensure the attachments are marked as plain text when they are in
> fact such beasts.

I don't know if the declaration "text/x-csrc" is processed
by the mailing list as regular text attachment, but as
you said, "text/plain" should work. Stripping non-text
attachments (especially binary ones, like images) has
been common practice on this list for years, probably
for decades now.

Inlining source code could have another aspect, and depending
on the language (!) of the inlined program, it _might_ or
_might not_ affect what the program does: I'm talking about
automated linebreaks inserted by the MUA (max. column width).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany