Booting off usb installer

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 30 19:01:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, 30 May 2019 00:13:36 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
> I made a usb installer from
> FreeBSD-12.0-STABLE-amd64-20190510-r347397-memstick.img
>
> When I set my FreeBSD 11.2 machine to boot from the usb, it does so
> and I get a normal looking boot menu, 1 for multi user, 2 for single
> user, etc.
>
> Whichever option I choose, 1 or 2, the machine starts to boot, but
> then reboots before completion. If there is an error, it passes too
> quickly for me to see it. At no point do I get an installer or a
> login prompt.
>
> The hardware is a 3rd? generation i5 and 8GB of RAM. Possibly a Dell
> machine?
>
> Should I instead be using the 12.0-RELEASE image?

Yes, definitely try that first. Keep in mind -STABLE is still
a development branch, whereas the content of -RELEASE has been
tested and verified more extensively.

> The machine does not have an optical drive in it.

Booting from USB should be standard today, as optical drives
become less and less common. Just make sure you don't have any
of the restricted boot ("Secure Boot") features activated that
might prevent normal booting operations.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany