New Install -- Doesn't boot

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed May 29 20:50:05 UTC 2019

I just did a fresh from-scratch install of 12.0 onto a 1TB SATA
drive using the memstick img file (dd'd onto a USB stick).

All seemed to go just fine, and I made it all the way to the end
with no problems.  When asked if I wanted to reboot to the new
system now I clicked yes, and when the system started to do the
BIOS POST stuff I powered off and used the opportunity to remove
the USB stick.  Then  powered on again.

The machine -seemed- like it was starting to boot, but then after
a few seconds, a BIOS screen came up.  Bummer.

I repeated to verify this apparent brokenness.

I figured that this must be something to do with EFI so I went in
and found a BIOS thing titled "Secure Boot menu".  That gave me
just two options, i.e. (1) Windows UEFI mode or (2) "Other OS".
It -was- set to Windows UEFI mode.  I changed that to "Other OS"
and then power cycled again.

Alas, still no joy.

What am I doing wrong?

Hardware is:

CPU: i3-4130 (hyperthreading recently disabled in BIOS)
Mobo: ASUS B85M-G
Bios: AMI 2.10.1208 (w/ASUS enhancements?)
Harddrive: WD1001FALS