ssh timeout question

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Wed May 29 20:48:31 UTC 2019

On Tue, 28 May 2019, Trond Endrest?l wrote:

> On Tue, 28 May 2019 15:16-0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I don't run into issues with this because my remote sessions tend to
>> have an application running that updates an on-screen time display every
>> minute. That's not why I do it, of course.
>
> Unless you need X11 and/or port forwarding, why not try net/mosh?

That is kind of the point, I use pine with a mouse. I was hoping someone might
have any idea as to why running pine makes the session more likely to be timed
out. Seems counterintuitive. When I first wrote my keep-alive script (over DSL)
I did find that sending a <bell> or some other non-printing char did not stop
timeouts.

> mosh uses ssh to bootstrap itself before it switches to a UDP based
> protocol running on a port > 60000. mosh is fairly resistant to packet
> loss and allows for seamless roaming. Roaming is limited to IPv4 or
> IPv6, depending on which protocol you chose when you did the initial
> connect. The use of screen or tmux is highly recommended. More
> information here: https://mosh.org

We were thinking about using mosh with blink on IOS and kind of forgot. Thanks
for the info.

Doug