FreeBSD 11.2, X.org, Xfce, and Firefox issues

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat May 18 05:01:30 UTC 2019

On 5/17/19 8:06 PM, Anders Jensen-Waud wrote:

>> On 30 Apr 2019, at 13:39, David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>>
>> freebsd-questions:
>>
>> I have installed FreeBSD on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.  My goal is to use it as a desktop/ workstation on my SOHO network:

>> When I start Firefox via an Xfce panel shortcut, it starts.  But when I try to browse to a URL, it core dumps and the Firefox window spins attempting to connect to the URL:

>> When I start Firefox via Terminal:

>> Browsing seems to work.

>> Any suggestions for fixing Firefox?

> Did you try the FF nightly build to see if you get the same error?

Thanks for the response.

That laptop has always had issues with FOSS OS distributions, X, USB to
PS/2 keyboard and mouse adapter, KVM switch, keyboard, monitor, and/or
mouse.  I went back to Debian 9 Xfce and it is once again my primary
desktop.

I moved that FreeBSD  system drive to a Dell PowerEdge T30, and it is
much happier on that hardware.  :-)

David