Encrypt PGP daily security email

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Fri May 17 15:14:24 UTC 2019

On Thu, 16 May 2019 10:45:02 +0200
xpetrl via freebsd-questions wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm receiving every night the daily security output per email;
> the server is host only and uses ssmpt with a smtp relay.
>
> Is there a way to encrypt that email?

Probably.

It's actually simpler to do this if the security report is
configured to be inline in daily. In that case you can set

daily_output=""

in periodic.conf. That should cause the output to go to stdout, and you can
pipe that to a script by changing the entry in /etc/crontab to
something like

# Perform daily/weekly/monthly maintenance.
1	3	*	*	*	root	periodic daily 2>&1 | yourscript

When security is not inline it's more complicated as 'periodic security' is
run from /etc/periodic/daily/450.status-security. In order to handle
the security report separately you would need to disable this and run
'periodic security' directly from crontab with the appropriate:

XXX_output=""

I'm not sure what XXX would be there, probably just "security",
450.status-security uses daily_status_security_output, but there may be
something in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf that sets security_output from that.