OT: android phone backup NOT to google cloud question

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri May 17 13:15:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 12:37, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> Speaking for Motorola (bought out by Lenovo not long ago if I'm not
> mistaken): nope. Other vendors: say, my old (~ 5 years maybe) Samsung
> Galaxy note 3 I got through AT&T - there was tool to make local own
> backup (can not vouch for full restore like iTunes allows for
> iDevices), but it's been too long since.
>
> My general impression is things got worse, i.e. google cloud,
> or maybe some vendors will offer their cloud instead of google.
> On the other hand the company invested so much of money
> (I'm staying from guessing about source of it) into data mining
> does want data trickle to them, even if you get your data
> back ultimately. I mean as investment, making android system,
> and keeping developing it, and supporting huge variety of
> hardware. Cost is enormous, there should be even bigger return
> on investment. So as return my suspicious mind would call
> the data android system allows its creator to receive.

. . .

> Valeri
>
>> Since Android isn't real-time audio capable I'm using iPads.
>> Each time a Windows release does reach end of life, there's the need
>> to set up a new virtual machine with a new Windows guest, to get the
>> required iTunes releases running. It's quite annoying, but at least
>> an iOS device user isn't forced to use iCloud for a backup.

Recommended reading:

__The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at
the New Frontier of Power__, Zuboff, Shoshana ,PublicAffairs, New
York, 2019.  ISBN-13: 978-1610395694

P.S.

For IOS users check your devices' Analytics Settings and view its
history. Then research how to purge it.  Some of you may find this
interesting, others disturbing.

Canada  L8E 3C3