10.2 freebsd-update returns cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory

Rob Rati lists at midsummerdream.org
Thu May 16 20:45:47 UTC 2019

I'm trying to upgrade my 10.4p13 server to 11.2, and I'm getting a weird set of errors from freebsd-update.  After updating to latest set of patches for 10.4, I run the usual:

freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.2-RELEASE

It goes through its process, downloads patches, etc but I get some errors I'm not sure about:
0....10460....10470....10480....10490....10500....10510....10520.... done.
Applying patches... done.
Fetching 9604 files... done.
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
[...]
Attempting to automatically merge changes in files... done.

The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in
FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE: /etc/autofs/include_nis
Does this look reasonable (y/n)? n

I'm not sure what is causing those no such file or directory errors though.  I tried cleaning everything out of /var/db/freebsd-update, but they didn't solve it.  There's plenty of disk space in /var as well.

Does anyone know what is causing those errors and how to resolve it?  Where does freebsd-update get the .gz files it could be looking for?

Rob