OT: android phone backup NOT to google cloud question

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu May 16 10:01:42 UTC 2019

On Wed, 15 May 2019 09:22:49 -0500
Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> My apologies for OT question.
>
> I wonder if someone of Android smartphone owners backs up their device
> and user/application data NOT to google cloud.

	Yes there are options that are worth looking into

owncloud - open source similar to Google Drive or Dropbox - I've never been
able to get it working to suit me YMMV

radicale - open source CALDAV/CARDDAV service - I keep my contacts on this
using davx5 on the Android side.

	There are also Android implementations of rsync - I use one
(arcosync) that is no longer in the play store to backup photos and a
selection of application files.

> I just had to get new smartphone, and discovered that short of rooting
> device or unlocking bootloader and flashing one of "un-googled" android
> builds I can not find the way to back up everything. To my storage, NOT

	That is unfortunately true and none of the above helps with this in
any way because unless the device is rooted access to application data is
for the most part restricted to the application that created it which is a
PITA.

> TO GOOGLE CLOUD that is. adb lets me back up system and applications
> (and data on add-on flash card), but not application data stored in
> internal storage (say, off-line maps downloaded by offline map
> application).

	Yep - and even when you can get a copy of some data you can't
always restore it without root or the cooperation of the application.

> Any advise, anybody?

	root it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>