rcorder - wait for tap0

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue May 14 22:43:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, 14 May 2019 22:08:24 +0200
Polytropon wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2019 21:39:26 +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> > On 2019-05-14 19:53, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:

> > > now I come to think about it openvpn runs after LOGIN, so either
> > > you have to put up with the order
> > >
> > >     named, openvpn, jails
> > >
> > > or rewrite the openvpn script.
> > >
> > > What I did was to allow DNS to pass directly to one well-known
> > > server so lookups could happen before openvpn started.
> >
> > Thank you for your comments.
> >
> > Thing is named dies if tap0 is not up when it starts and as this is
> > a public named server it needs to be running after boot.
> >
> > Rewriting the provided rc scripts, they are part of the port and
> > requires work when updated.
> >
> > So, the conlusion is, fiddle with the ule/rc.d/ and prepare to fix
> > them after every update? No other way?
>
> There is another way, but it doesn't sound much better:
>
> You could use /etc/rc.local to implement the exact order in
> which you need to start the different services, without using
> their automatic startup (*_enable="YES" in combination with
> the /etc/rc.d/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ scripts).

A variant of that idea would be to set

openvpn_enable=NO

and run the installed  openvpn script from a wrapper rc script
using 'onestart'

I've CCed the port maintainer just in case he's not aware of the issue.
Starting openvpn that late is fine for a VPN server, but for a client it
needs to run earlier.  There are things that need internet access during
boot and typically access is blocked by the firewall until the tun/tap
interface comes up.